There’s no question about it.
Law is a hyper-competitive field, and your practice needs a phenomenal law firm marketing strategy to survive.
Today I’m going to show you how to open yourself up to a steady stream of qualified leads, with 25 results-driven law firm marketing strategies.
These are real strategies we have used to launch our partners into success – see our case studies here.
When you’re ready to grow your firm, let us know and we’ll send you our media kit to get you started.
Let’s jump in!
Quick Links: 25 Strategies to Grow Your Firm
- Start with an attractive, user-friendly website.
- Capture attention with distinctive branding.
- Create a killer law firm SEO campaign.
- Demonstrate your law firm’s capability, credibility, & authority.
- Get involved in local mobile advertising.
- Trade local TV advertising for connected TV advertising.
- Use CTAs, contact forms, and incentives to boost contact.
- Add video marketing to your legal firm marketing toolbox.
- Bring live chat to your law firm’s web marketing.
- Build out your landing pages.
- Launch an SEM optimized campaign with Google Ads.
- Revamp your law firm’s email marketing campaigns.
- Overhaul your sales process.
- Provide creative, relevant, and newsworthy content.
- Take advantage of the power of social media marketing.
- Consider a public relations specialist for your firm.
- Stay connected with your leads through legal newsletter marketing.
- Use gated content to develop inbound law firm marketing campaigns.
- Climb Google search engine ranks with law firm backlinks.
- Boost your law firm visibility with display advertising.
- Expand your reach with memorable law firm radio advertising.
- Create engaging, high-quality infographics.
- Integrate reviews with your website to establish credibility.
- Be a guest speaker at a professional event.
- Hire a law firm marketing company to advance your chance of success.
Why your practice needs law firm marketing.
Did you know that more than 95% of your prospective clients start their search for legal advice online?
If you don’t have a strong online presence, your prospective clients may not even know you exist.
Depending on the type of law you practice, a revolving door of client bases is nothing new.
Once a case is complete, you have the burden of replacing them with someone else.
Yet, it isn’t often that law firms approach their marketing strategies with the same thoroughness with which they approach their cases.
And that’s okay! You didn’t go to law school to learn how to manage your marketing campaigns, establish a digital presence, and grow your business.
That’s why we’re here to help.
You don’t have to try all of these law firm marketing ideas at once.
Choose a few areas you know you can improve, then fill in the gaps with a solid legal firm marketing plan.
Let us know if you have any questions along the way!
25 Effective law firm marketing strategies to grow your firm.
1. Start with an attractive, user-friendly website.
A quick online search of “law firm near me” will show you that more than a few law firm sites aren’t exactly keeping up with the times.
If your law firm website looks like it is something out of the 90’s or early 2000’s (think bland themes and clunky interfaces), it’s time to scrap it and start over.
A lot of law firm websites aren’t user-friendly, so this is your opportunity to shine.
Remember to design with intention. Everything about your functionality and layout should make it easy for your visitors.
Your law firm’s website should:
- Be attractive and easy to navigate.
- Have fast loading times and mobile accessibility.
- Have easy to find contact information.
- Include case studies and testimonials from satisfied clients.
- Showcase professional media, including pictures of your staff.
- Contain individual pages for each attorney and area of service.
2. Capture attention with distinctive branding.
An attractive website may have gotten visitors to your page, but distinctive branding is what will keep them there.
Standing out from other law firms can be challenging in such a cardinal field.
Think about the type of message you want your law firm to project and how you want the community and potential clients to perceive you.
Be ready to answer two questions:
- What makes your law firm different from thousands of others?
- What is your value proposition and why should anyone listen to you?
Tip: After you’ve worked out your firm’s unique message, a law firm marketing company (like LiftIntent) can help you tie it into the rest of your marketing campaign. Your website, social, blog, and ads should all project your firm’s image.
3. Create a killer law firm SEO campaign.
If you’re not on the first page of search engine results, your leads are going to a law firm that is.
First, you’ll want to set up your website for search engine success with an airtight law firm SEO strategy.
Organic on and off-page SEO tactics should incorporate your law firm’s strategic target keywords.
- Optimize meta-data. Page title tag, meta description, heading tags, image alt-tag, etc.
- Write search engine-optimized content. Don’t attempt this on your own; take the time to hire an SEO writer.
- Create simple and formatted page URL’s. Not sure how? Work with a dedicated law firm marketing company that specializes in SEO.
- Integrate social sharing. Social signals increase traffic to your website through social networks.
- Improve your page speed. Aim for 3 seconds or less to avoid losing visitors.
- Develop a link profile. Natural, high-quality inbound and outbound links drastically boost your search engine rankings.
- Attract attention from social bookmarking. Think of sites like Reddit, Stumbleupon, and Digg.
4. Demonstrate your law firm’s capability, credibility, & authority.
Active law firm marketing strategies are a great way to earn clients, but you don’t want to forget to lay down a great foundation.
This step is simple: Let your excellent track record do the talking for you.
A great way to earn trust passively is to demonstrate your capability, credibility, and authority.
This also gives visitors who prefer to do their own research the information they need to make an informed decision about who they want to work with.
- Be specific in your areas of expertise. All-in-one packages may work for your cable + Internet, but people typically want to work with a lawyer that has specific capabilities.
- Display your degree, awards, and achievements. This is a great way to establish instant credibility with your potential clients.
- Showcase case studies and testimonials. It’s inevitable that your potential clients are going to research you before they decide to hire you. Stay one step ahead of the game by displaying case studies that you’ve performed, and testimonials that speak to your capabilities.
- Dedicate a page to FAQ. Anticipate your potential client’s questions and demonstrate your capability with a well-thought-out and helpful FAQ page.
5. Get involved in local mobile advertising.
Image Source: Factual
Have you ever wished you could reach out to potential clients at the exact moment they need you?
With the power of mobile geofencing ads and proximity marketing, this is a reality.
Mobile advertising with geofencing accuracy allows you to serve your law firm’s ads to mobile phones when (or after) they’ve reached a specific location.
- Firms who need personal injury law firm advertising can now target those walking in and out of hospitals, tow yards, trauma centers, and more.
- Criminal defense attorneys can target those in the parking lot of jails, detention centers, and local courthouses.
- With tools like Factual geofencing and location data, you can even target potential clients that walk into your competitors’ offices!
Yes, this is actually real with tools like Factual location data.
With virtual fences, addressable targeting, and the placement of a proximity beacon, you can target potential clients anywhere your law firm could benefit.
Tip: Contact LiftIntent to learn more about location-based targeting mobile devices. We can answer questions about local mobile advertising, geo fencing cost, radius targeting, addressable geofencing, proximity mapping tools, and Factual advertising.
6. Trade local TV advertising for connected TV advertising.
Image Source: Raving
There’s nothing quite like the sight, sound, and motion of video to build an emotional connection.
There are a lot of lawyers advertising on TV, but that doesn’t always mean it’s the best choice.
TV conversions are pricey, hard to track, and leave marketers unable to make tweaks or changes.
It also doesn’t help that consumers of all ages are trending away from traditional television towards a la carte streaming options like Netflix and Hulu.
However, the fact that cord-cutters and cord-nevers are on the rise is actually good news for law firm advertising.
Because CTV advertising is connected to the Internet, we have found that advertising for lawyers has never been more targetable, and easy to track.
Tip: At LiftIntent, we can help you pair your OTT and CTV ads with your other marketing efforts, including your direct mail advertising, display advertising, native advertising, law firm radio advertising, and video advertising!
7. Use CTAs, contact forms, and incentives to boost contact.
Your law firm marketing plan should always include a consistent and deliberate combination of CTA’s, contact forms, and offers.
This formula is essential, as you need all three to experience a drastic boost in contact.
CTA’s and contact forms with generic “get in touch” requests aren’t effective compared to “we’re prepared to fight for the compensation you deserve” and “get a free consultation with our lawyers now.”
Notice that we used a financial incentive in our example above.
The purpose of CTA’s is to motivate visitors to act now instead of clicking around your site before they head somewhere else.
It seems simple, but having a contact form immediately available on every page is a simple way to boost conversions rather quickly.
8. Add video marketing to your legal firm marketing toolbox.
Image Source: Oberlo
If you haven’t produced a law firm marketing video yet, you might be falling behind the times.
It makes sense; it’s a lot easier for consumers to watch a video than to read text content.
The good news is the market for law firm marketing videos isn’t saturated yet – unlike the actual legal field. So the practices giving their visitors information via video are reaping the benefits.
Your firm can utilize video to:
- Introduce your attorneys and staff.
- Create a relatable image, while providing a behind-the-scenes view of your law firm.
- Give how-to information.
- Showcase your firm’s testimonials and satisfied client reviews.
9. Bring live chat to your law firm’s web marketing.
You worked hard in law school, and to gain the reputation you currently have, so why would you want to give away free advice?
It’s the same idea as offering a free consultation. With a live chat feature, visitors can ask a few preliminary questions to see how you can help.
And according to Harris Research, more than half of the consumers prefer online chat to any other form of contact.
There are several other benefits to this method of law firm marketing:
- You can turn interested visitors into credible leads.
- Client questions can get answered immediately.
- It gives your firm a modern, progressive feel.
- An agent tends to your queries, so it doesn’t take up your time.
- Your website is open for business at all times.
- Reduce in-office consultation visits that aren’t likely to convert.
Live chat is a viable consideration, especially if you’re hoping to create a more progressive perception of your firm. Plus, a considerable portion of your potential clients will appreciate the engagement.
10. Build out your landing pages.
You already know that web traffic means nothing if it doesn’t convert.
You’ll need a landing page (or several) for any law firm marketing campaign your practice launches.
Remember, this is the face of your practice and where you start the process of converting your visitors, so you want to make a great first impression.
Specifically, you’ll need a page customized for each of your services and special offers.
Make sure to pair your professional landing pages with our other law firm marketing strategies, especially CTA’s, content forms, SEM and law firm SEO, as well as your mobile, video, and audio advertising campaigns.
Keep in mind, like any of the other pages on your website, your landing page needs to be optimized with searchable terms and include actionable keywords, in addition to a professional design.
11. Launch an SEM optimized campaign with Google Ads.
If you’re not sure if you should launch an optimized Google AdWords or Google Ads campaign, you’ll want to pay attention to this next statistic.
Ads are covering as much as 85% of the space above the fold on the results page.
That leaves only 10 first-page organic spots competing for every search!
If you are struggling to achieve first-page results organically, paid searches can be a highly effective way to draw new leads.
On the other hand, a poorly executed ad campaign can all but guarantee you’ll be flushing money down the drain.
We highly recommend working with an experienced law firm advertising agency to stream a river of highly qualified, ready-to-hire traffic.
However, if you’re going at it on your own, keep these quick tips in mind:
- Avoid general keywords like “attorney” and “lawyer.” Not only are they highly competitive, they also come with an expensive price tag. Instead, focus on your niche areas of practice, like ‘“criminal defense lawyer”, “divorce attorney”, or “personal injury lawyer.” Just don’t forget to target applicable locations and demographics.
- Have your AdWords optimized. For the best results, partner with a law firm marketing association who will put in the research time and manage your campaign effectively.
- Serve your ads programmatically. Work with a law firm marketing company that has experience with programmatic advertising. Programmatic software automates your campaigns to reach your ideal target audience more efficiently.
Tip: Contact LiftIntent to learn more about automating your online law firm advertising campaigns with programmatic advertising.
12. Revamp your law firm’s email marketing campaigns.
As Internet trends continue to evolve, there is one aspect that has remained constant – email.
Most people have at least one, and if you’re like me, you may have 2 or 3.
In fact, email marketing is one of the most effective ways to reach both current and potential clients as a law firm.
One of the reasons we love email marketing for law firms is its versatility. Law firm marketing email campaigns help keep your practice top of mind while giving you an avenue to deliver news, articles, and tips.
Make sure to segment your campaigns with a strategic purpose based on:
- Stage within your hiring cycle
- Area of interest in your practice
13. Overhaul your sales process.
By improving your sales process (don’t worry, this is an area a lot of firms find challenging), you’ll be able to better identify what makes a lead “sales-qualified.”
It’s common for people to contact firms solely for information. However, a good sales process will improve the chances of them calling back when it’s time to hire a lawyer.
Learn how to actively measure and improve the time between a lead submission and your response.
This could mean considering actual sales or a lead generation manager to minimize the loss of clients who contact your firm.
14. Provide creative, relevant, and newsworthy content.
Is there a better way to reach your clients (both current and potential) than regularly writing useful content for them?
- Demonstrate your professional knowledge in your main practice areas.
- Raise credibility with your target audience. Let’s face it, there are a ton of options for legal representation out there, but articles help demonstrate your legal ability.
- Improve your law firm search engine optimization (SEO). Articles and guest posts on other sites provide valuable backlinks. They’re also a great way to show you’re active on your website, which is a factor in Google rankings.
- Utilize non-disruptive native ads to provide your audience with more relevant content while promoting your firm’s message.
Tip: Hire an SEO writer who will help you strategize your content around your law firm’s keywords and offerings. Or contact our experts at LiftIntent. We can help.
15. Take advantage of the power of social media marketing.
It’s pretty much safe to assume that social media is here to stay.
The social media giant, Facebook, sees more than 2 billion active users every month! That’s a market you don’t want to pass you by.
Regardless of your target demographics, social media is one of the best chances you have to reach those who need your services.
From millennials to their grandparents, nearly every person is using social media in some capacity. An active presence will generate leads and help grow your firm.
For your firm to stay relevant and connected with your target audience, active social media accounts aren’t an option; they are a necessity.
We also suggest you create a LinkedIn page specifically for your firm, particularly if you’re hoping to attract business professionals or high-quality talent.
16. Consider a public relations specialist for your firm.
This one might sound old school, but hear us out. Marketing and communication have changed, and so has the game of PR.
Traditional print publications like magazines and daily papers have all gone digital. A qualified PR agent will have the skills to develop an active media outreach campaign for your firm.
Here’s why media outreach for law firms works.
- Mentions from major publications provide valuable exposure for individual attorneys or your whole firm. This is also true of legal news websites.
- Endorsements from a third party lend more credibility to your law firm. You can also feature your press releases as content on your firm’s website.
- Backlinks from high profile media sites boost your law firm SEO.
- Targeting your audience is simple with specific vertical market publications. Additionally, most significant publications have dedicated sections for particular industries.
For the best results, manage your law firm web marketing and advertising efforts with an experienced law firm marketing company, like LiftIntent.
17. Stay connected with your leads through legal newsletter marketing.
Newsletter marketing is a crucial strategy for every law firm’s digital marketing plan. That’s why you see many successful law firms encouraging newsletter sign-up CTA’s on their websites.
A regular newsletter sent to your mailing list . . .
- Will keep you top of mind with potential and current clients.
- Helps show that you stay current with developments in your practice area.
- Is one of the best methods to demonstrate your legal authority.
- The best part? It’s a newsletter, not a novel; you can get away with keeping it brief.
You have options when it comes to your newsletter content type, including . . .
- Case studies.
- Snippets of relevant articles (include links to your latest blog post!).
- Intro’s for new attorneys.
- Details about your community activities and awards.
- News and updates on your area of legal practice.
Don’t underestimate the power of providing content of value to your target audience in your law firm marketing strategies!
18. Use gated content to develop inbound law firm marketing campaigns.
Let’s talk about inbound marketing for law firms. These are campaigns that passively attract prospective clients to your firm for you, usually via robust content, through branding efforts and social media.
Your law firm website may already be providing free content in the form of:
- How-to videos
- Case Studies
- Blog posts that provide educational, legal information
- And newsletter articles with legal information.
These are all great methods for building awareness. However, it’s time to consider “gating” some of your more valuable work.
For example, potential clients can exchange their contact information for useful information on your website, like white-papers.
After you have their contact details, you can establish a database to grow your email marketing campaigns.
As we explained earlier, this is one of the most valuable tools in your law firm marketing kit.
As an attorney, you have a lot of valuable knowledge – leverage it!
19. Climb Google search engine ranks with law firm backlinks.
You may not think so, but a feature in a significant legal directory like Justia can help provide citations and boost traffic.
At the very least, it’s another hyperlink for your website, which is one of the essential tools for earning top search engine rankings.
Here are five of the best directories to raise your firm’s profile:
- Legal Directories (easy to remember, right?)
- Legal Shield
Marketing doesn’t always have to be a highly involved process. Listing your law firm in legal directories is simple and affordable; some are even free!
Paid listings, on the other hand, have monthly or annual fees for additional exposure.
Do you want more backlinking ideas? Read Law Firm Backlinks: 10 Authoritative Strategies for Quality SEO.
20. Boost your law firm visibility with display advertising.
According to Wordstream, Google’s Display Network makes up 20% of AdWords traffic and reaches 92% of all Internet users across the U.S.
This statistic alone is enough reason that it should be a part of your law firm advertising and marketing campaign.
However, the common misconception is that display advertising is only made up of images.
On the contrary, the Google Display Network allows you to advertise in a variety of formats and sizes with text ads, static and animated image ads, rich media, including carousels, and video ads.
Law firm marketing video has become especially popular since YouTube advertising joined the Display Network.
Tip: Did you know that display advertising can integrate with your other campaigns? Contact LiftIntent to learn more about how to retarget your law firm advertising strategies.
21. Expand your reach with memorable law firm radio advertising.
As a law firm marketer, there are a lot of reasons to love audio advertising for lawyers. Let’s take a quick glance:
- Radio reaches 9/10 Americans over the age of 12 every week (that’s more than 235 million Americans)
- Daytime may be prime time for a video advertisement, but radio ads capture the attention of morning and evening routes.
- Americans tune into their favorite stations up to 16+ hours a week.
- Radio ad spend is expected to top $16 billion in the next two years.
- Every $1 spent on radio advertising brings in an average $17 per individual exposure.
The best part? People listen to the radio in an uncluttered environment – while drinking their morning coffee, driving home from work, etc.
With audio advertising, you leverage the intimacy of the human voice with emotional, memorable stories.
Follow these simple tips to get started:
- Aim to capture that 15-minute drive to work in the mornings and evenings.
- Trade boring facts for cute, clever, memorable, or emotional statements.
- Use an attention-grabbing headline.
- Draw a parallel between your audience and your service benefits.
- Describe your offer in clear, emotional language.
- Repeat your call to action at least three times.
22. Create engaging, high-quality infographics.
Image Source: SlideShare
The legal field is notorious for being a bit dry.
Stand out among the masses with high-quality infographics that explain various processes, statistics, skills, expertise, and any other area that might be of interest to your audience.
Keep in mind that not everyone likes to receive information in the same way.
Your law firm marketing strategies should incorporate various media to meet the evolving needs of your audience.
Infographics are a powerful law firm marketing tool to communicate complex legal issues in a graphic format.
Plus, they capture attention, encourage engagement, and show the progressive side of your practice.
Tip: There are plenty of free infographic makers that can help you display your message in under an hour (like Canva.com). If you’re not confident about your design capabilities, contact a law firm advertising agency to find out how you can incorporate infographics into your legal marketing strategy.
23. Integrate reviews with your website to establish credibility.
If you don’t think reviews are that important, take a look at the picture above. Which law firm would you call first? Which would you avoid?
Word-of-mouth referrals are a significant portion of law firm success.
If you aren’t directly asking for reviews at the end of your service, you could be missing out on business.
Reach out to your past clients and ask them to review you and your firm on LinkedIn, Google, or via a submittable online form.
Then feature these testimonials prominently and proudly on your law firm’s website.
Focus on reviews that speak to topics your potential clients will value to build trust and credibility. And if any well-known members or businesses in your community are willing to provide a testimonial – even better!
24. Be a guest speaker at a professional event.
If you happened to read our article on creating an authoritative law firm backlinks strategy, then you know just how relevant backlinks are to your law firm search engine optimization.
One of the best ways to get authoritative, high-quality backlinks is to get involved in professional community events.
Events are an excellent opportunity to meet other figures in your field, demonstrate your knowledge, and advance your law firm’s reputation.
Look for opportunities to bring value to industry events, including seminars, radio, TV shows, or even a feature on a podcast.
Start by extending an email offering your opinion about a controversial or interesting piece of legislation or a high-profile scandal.
Not only will you gain exposure, it’s also likely your law firm will obtain a backlink from an authoritative site when they promote the segment.
Tip: Always check with the event’s organizers to ensure that your law firm promotion efforts are within the scope, and apply basic marketing principles for your law firm by offering value first and foremost.
25. Hire a law firm marketing company to advance your chance of success.
Regardless of your firm’s size, assessing your law firm’s marketing performance can be daunting.
This is especially true if marketing and advertising for law firms isn’t your area of expertise.
A lot of lawyers skip this step – in fact, only 27% of lawyers report having hired a law firm marketing company.
But how do you think larger firms achieved their size in the first place?
If money is a concern, choose to outsource only the parts of your law firm marketing plan that you need assistance with.
Tip: Partner with a marketing company that has experience in law firm marketing and advertising. Ask to see what they have achieved for other clients and request a preliminary evaluation of what they would recommend for your practice.
Don’t wait, start your law firm marketing journey today!
Can you believe that these are just some of the options you have to choose from when ramping up your law firm marketing campaign?
Yes, it’s true!
Although these are just a few of our favorite law firm marketing strategies that have earned our clients valuable results, all of our solutions are tailored to your individual practice.
So, what should you do next?
- First, I strongly recommend heading over to our case studies to see what we’ve accomplished.
- Then contact the experts at our law firm marketing company. We’d love to answer your questions, learn more about you, and send you our law firm media kit.
Don’t wait and wonder why you aren’t getting results. Start your law firm marketing journey to earn more leads and grow your client base today!